If you’re friends with me on facebook, you’ve already seen this one, but I wanted to share it here as well! This past Monday, we had the privilege of attending our very first band concert to hear our son, Matthew, play his trombone. Initially, I’ll admit, I wasn’t too sure about this whole band thing … and neither was Matthew. But it has turned out to be such a positive experience. Several of his good friends are also in the band (which is kind of the only reason he decided to join in the first place!) and he has really taken to learning how to play a new instrument, after taking piano lessons for six years. And what’s really special about it, is the fact that his Daddy was also a trombone player in middle and high school! I love it when they both pull out their trombones and play together – even if it does get a little loud in the living room!
I don’t know if band will stick long term for Matthew or not, but I’m really hoping it does. I have dreams of watching him in the half time show of the high school football games or going to marching band competitions. There’s just something about the pomp & circumstance … the precision of it all … the camaraderie … the formality … that is appealing. Regardless, though, of what he chooses in the future, I’m grateful for the experience he’s enjoying right now. And plus, he looks awfully cute in his band “uniform!”
[Linking up with Deb for This or That Thursday]
Good for him... It is a wonderful thing to be able to play a musical instrument.
ReplyDeleteMollyxxx
How great for him!!!!!!!!!! Band is a WONDERFUL experience for them at that age.
ReplyDelete