Saturday, July 7, 2012

just some thoughts…

Maybe it’s because it’s summer or because we’ve only been back from vacation for a week, but either way I’ve been floundering a bit.  I can’t seem to get into a routine – which is when I flourish – and I’m struggling to find time to be still and quiet.  My devotional time is consistently being put on the back burner (i.e. quickly being done right before bed) and I’m just feeling like I’m drifting along without purpose.

When I try reading my Bible or other devotionals that I typically enjoy, the words don’t seem to penetrate my heart like usual.  I’m dry.  And thirsty.

Kind of like the world around me. 

This summer has been marked by a lot of extremely warm days (think 100+ degrees) and very little rain.  The grass has been dead for weeks now and the flowers are kept alive only by twice a day waterings from our hose.  Without that regular watering, they’d surely be dead as well.  In fact, for the past few days we’ve been struggling to revive the hanging baskets on our porch that were neglected while we were on vacation.  Without a daily watering, they quickly became dry and parched.  The flowers stopped blooming and the green vines became withered and brown.

Kind of like my heart.  If I’m not careful.  Despite the fact that I don’t feel like watering my soul with a daily dose of scripture and quiet time, I must do it anyway if I want to bloom and be healthy.

IMG_5899 hazy

Jesus Calling:  July 6

I am your Father-God.  Listen to Me!  Learn what it means to be a child of the everlasting King.  Your richest duty is devotion to Me.  This duty is such a joyous privilege that it feels like a luxury.  You tend to feel guilty about pushing back the boundaries of your life to make space for time alone with Me.  The world is waiting to squeeze you into its mold and to crowd out time devoted to Me.   The ways of the world have also warped your conscience, which punishes you for doing the very thing that pleases Me most; seeking My Face.  Listen to Me above the clamor of voices trying to distract you.  Ask My Spirit to control your mind, for He and I work in perfect harmony.  Be still and attentive in My Presence.  You are on holy ground.

Isaiah 9:6;  Zechariah 9:9;  Romans 8:15-16;  Exodus 3:5

2 comments:

  1. Calling by from LeAnne's Flower Art Friday. The image is quite lovely and soft, but your words are precise, we must water and feed our souls. Hope to see some cooler and wetter days ahead - we're having the same in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calling by from LeAnne's Flower Art Friday. The image is quite lovely and soft, but your words are precise, we must water and feed our souls. Hope to see some cooler and wetter days ahead - we're having the same in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete